Navigate Up
Sign In
Contact Information

Office of Academic Affairs


Spafford Hall 203

1200 S. Jay St.

Aberdeen, S.D. 57401


Phone: 605-626-7786

Fax: 605-626-3970

E-mail: Judy Lapka 

The WolfPACT Scholarship
Guaranteed Scholarship
The largest guaranteed four year scholarship in the Midwest. Money you can count on. Get your ACT Score; find out your scholarship award. It's that simple!
Learn More!  
Academic Advising at NSU


Academic Advising Center

The Academic Advising Center at University College helps first-year students develop educational plans consistent with their academic, career, and personal goals. The center addresses students' diverse cultural and academic backgrounds while promoting academic excellence. It's our mission to provide a seamless transition from college entry to completion of academic goals and graduation. Visit the center on Facebook.


Advising at NSU

Like all students at Northern, you'll work individually with an advisor. Advisor assignments are based on the number of credits you've earned, academic standing, and declared major.


You'll meet regularly with your advisor to discuss academic programs, academic requirements and progress, career opportunities, and educational plans.


Advisor Assignments

All first-year students will work with an advisor in the Advising Center. First-year advisors will help you register for your first semester, and continue to serve you through your first academic year. Undecided on your major? You'll still have access to advising through the Advising Center, no matter your class standing.


Transfer students with less than 24 credits will work with an advisor from the Advising Center. Transfer students with more than 24 credits and a declared major will work with faculty advisors.


Faculty Advisors

If your enter your third semester with a 2.0 cumulative grade point average and a declared major, you'll work with a faculty advisor from your major area. NSU will notify you via your NSU email regarding the advising transition from the first to second year of study.


Find more information on WebAdvisor.


Changing Majors

If you wish to change your major, visit the Registrar’s Office. Once the program change has been processed, if necessary, you'll receive a new advisor.