From S.D. Sen. Tim Johnson
What is Constitution Day?
Sept. 17 is Constitution Day and Citizenship Day (Constitution Day). This day commemorates the Sept. 17, 1787, signing of the United States Constitution.
Constitution Day Events at Northern
NSU’s Constitution Day celebration will last all day Sept. 17. All are welcome to this free, fun event.
Speaker: U.S. Army Lt. Col. Christopher A. Lindberg
"Calling Forth the Militia: The Constitution and the Armed Services"
8 p.m. Sept. 17, Krikac Auditorium
The day’s schedule also includes:
- Noon: Political science professor Dr. Jon Schaff will present a forum, “Our Once and Future Constitution,” in the NSU library.
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Dacotah Prairie Museum will have a display, South Dakota statehood and Constitution, in the Student Center.
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: The League of Women Voters will register voters in the Student Center.
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: The NSU School of Education will have children’s books and related material on display in the Student Center.
- For lunch, the Den will serve special, patriotically-themed food.
- Throughout the day, the NSU Wolf Shoppe (the university’s bookstore) will have a display of relevant books and hold a Constitution trivia contest.
- A copy of the Constitution and U.S. flags will be on display in the Student Center, courtesy of the Aberdeen Exchange Club.
- The departments and offices that will decorate for the occasion include the College of Arts and Sciences, computer center, humanities, graduate studies, admissions, registrar, financial aid and veterans’ office.
- School of Business faculty Kristi Bockorny, Robert Preston and Todd Muehler will involve some of their classes in special Constitution Day activities.
- The NSU student newspaper, the Exponent, will carry information in issues before Sept. 17.
- NSU TV will air a special episode of “Inside NSU” on the U.S. Constitution several times daily before and on Sept. 17.
Constitution Day 2014
For more information about Constitution Day at NSU, contact Dias at 605-626-7795 or firstname.lastname@example.org