As a Spanish teacher for the Center for Statewide E-learning [CSEL] I am privileged to travel the back roads of South Dakota every Monday through Friday from mid- August to mid-May.
I returned to South Dakota in 2002 because I longed for the quiet beauty of those back roads. My environment has always been my best teacher: I fell in love with nature while living in Missoula, Montana; I discovered my passion for the performing arts and all things Latin American while living in San Francisco; I learned to appreciate geologic time while living in Flagstaff, Arizona - a day trip away from the Grand Canyon; Boulder, Colorado, offered me the rugged beauty of Montana and Arizona along with the artistic and intellectual stimulation of Northern California; and Las Vegas, as you might imagine, is beyond description - there is nothing like it, yet my five years in that desert city remain some of my fondest.
Interspersed among those years are countless cross-country trips and three sojourns to Central America - one lasting five months. These gifts continue to sustain me. Now, as a distance educator, my hope is to awaken students’ curiosity and appreciation for all people and cultures with which we share our planet.
• South Dakota Department of Education, Alternative Certification Program
• Master of Fine Arts, playwriting, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
• Master of Arts, English, Northern Arizona University
• Bachelor of Arts, Spanish, Northern Arizona University
• CSEL Master Teacher of Spanish since 2008.
• Spanish teacher, Roslyn School: 2003-2008; this also included two years as distance Spanish teacher for Langford School and one year for Florence School.
• 9 semesters as adjunct faculty, Theatre Arts, University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
Northern State University
1200 South Jay Street
Department Phone: 605.626.3382