SU Upward Bound gave me confidence to be myself and know I can achieve a lot if I put my mind to it. If I wasn’t in the program, I don’t know if I would’ve gone to college.”
NSU business management graduate, NSU masters degree candidate
Northern's Upward Bound Program helps students graduate from high school and successfully complete postsecondary education.
Upward Bound is a federal grant program designed to inspire and support students in their pursuit of postsecondary education. The program offers services throughout the academic year and during a 6-week residential summer program at Northern.
Upward Bound offers eligible students expert help with:
- Academic advising
- ACT preparation
- Time management
- Financial and economic literacy
- Scholarship preparation and completion
- Cultural experiences
- Choosing a career, and
- Selecting a college or university
During Northern's summer program, students attend classes in mathematics, laboratory sciences, composition, literature, and foreign languages.
School Year Program
• Meet monthly with an Upward Bound advisor
• Maintain good attendance at school
• Participate in weekend workshops
• Stay in good academic standing (2.5+ GPA)
• Work with Upward Bound tutors
• Receive a monthly stipend
• Six weeks' free room and board on Northern's campus
• Educational instruction in math, science, computers, art, composition, reading and Spanish
• Use of Northern's computer and science labs
• Individual advising and tutoring
• Hands-on learning
• Free college visits and educational adventures in cities such as Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, and Denver
• Potential to earn high school AND college credit
• Weekly stipend
Qualified graduating Upward Bound seniors who have attended the summer program are eligible to earn college credit! Enroll at NSU for a summer class, and Upward Bound picks up the tab for room, board, tuition and books.
How to Get Involved
To be part of NSU Upward Bound, applicants must:
• Be a 9th-11th grader at Aberdeen Central High School or high schools in Britton-Hecla, Doland, Frederick, Langford, Sisseton, Waubay, Webster, or Wilmot, S.D.
• Want academic support to help prepare for college
• Aspire to attend and graduate from college
• Meet income and parental education guidelines