At Northern, we're proud to be large enough to offer you a variety of educational opportunities yet small enough to give you personal attention to help you achieve your academic goals. Uniting these priorities is the official Advising for Registration Period in the fall.
Advisors can help you plan the courses you need to take to complete your educational goals. No educational institution offers every class, every term, at enough times to meet everyone’s preferences.
- Work with your departmental advisor to be sure you take the courses you need to when they are offered.
- Check in with your advisor periodically throughout your academic career to discuss educational goals, develop strategies to reach them, and develop a connection with someone in your major department.
Before the Advising for Registration Period
1. Look at your profile on WebAdvisor. Update your contact information with the Registrar’s Office. Check your listed program: major, minors, degree. If not accurate, talk to the University College if a freshman; to the department of your intended major if an upperclassman; or the grad office if a graduate student.
2. Look up and print your Program Evaluation (undergraduate students) to see what classes you still need. Access information on using WebAdvisor, Understanding your Program Evaluation, Schedule worksheets and Hold information on the Northern Website, Current Student section.
3. Check WebAdvisor Grading option for any Early Alert Deficiencies (DEF). If you receive any, talk to your advisor, instructor or University College for assistance.
4. Look up who your advisor is using WebAdvisor, either on your profile or on your program evaluation. Contact them and set up an appointment for during the Advising for Registration Period.
5. Look up the schedule of classes using Course Search on WebAdvisor and make a tentative plan of classes for the next semester.
During the Advising for Registration Period
1. Keep your appointment with your advisor and finalize your proposed schedule. Bring your program evaluation to this meeting. Be sure to select alternate classes.
2. Look up your registration priority on Web Advisor and make a note on your personal calendar to register on that day and time.
3. Check My Restrictions on WebAdvisor periodically for holds and follow up on them.
During the Registration Period
1. Get registered on or immediately after your priority date to get the classes you want and avoid financial aid problems.
2. Check for midterm deficiencies. If you receive any, talk to your advisor to develop a plan of action, and possibly revise your schedule for next term.
3. Once registered, look at your program evaluation on WebAdvisor again to be sure courses apply where expected. If anything looks wrong, contact the Registrar’s Office.
4. If you are registering for your final term, apply for graduation. Undergraduates should apply in DH 101, Graduates in SP 104.
After the end of the term
1. Check WebAdvisor Grades for your final grades.
2. Make schedule changes if necessary. Consult with your advisor.
Just before the start of the term
1. Check your schedule for any changes: time, instructor, location
2. Check SDe-Pay for billing information.