Basic rules to remember
- Library users MUST show a valid ID card to check out materials.
- Your card MUST be activated at the circulation desk to use.
- Report a lost ID to the library immediately. If you fail to report the loss, you will be responsible for items checked out on your card.
Questions on any of the policies below? Contact us for answers!
Borrowing & Fees
You must possess a valid NSU ID or active Alexander Mitchell Public Library card and be over 18 to borrow materials from Williams Library.
The following items may not leave the library:
- Archives material
- Individual issues of magazines, journals, and newspapers
- Reference books
- An NSU ID is required to use these items
- You may use two items at a time
- Items are not to leave the library, unless specified by the professor
- Ask at the circulation desk to be placed on a waiting list for items currently checked out by another patron. Hold requests may also be placed online via the library catalog.
- You will receive a notice when the items become available
- Items on hold may be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
If you receive a recall notice, it means the item you are using has been requested by another patron.
- Recalled items are due on the date indicated on the recall notice.
- Fines are doubled on items not returned by the recall due date.
- Overdue items cannot be renewed.
- Books may be renewed once.
- Books which another patron has requested (placed a hold on) cannot be renewed.
- Bound periodicals cannot be renewed.
- Renewals can be done over the phone - call 626-2645.
- Renewals can be done online in the library catalog. See below for directions.
How to renew
- Go to My Library Card
- Log in (enter your barcode number - on back of your NSU ID - and password)
- Select "Northern State University" from the Library drop-down menu
- Under the Activities heading click the Loans link
- Click "Renew All" to renew everything, or click the underlined number at the far left of each item to renew individual items
Note: it may not be possible to renew all items. Please call the library (626-2645) if you have questions.
- Request items online via the library catalog
- NSU students, staff and faculty only - allow 1-4 weeks for delivery
- Journal articles and photocopies are sent via email (rarely via campus/USPS)
- Pick up/check out books and other returnable items at the Circulation Desk
- (delivery service for faculty & staff)
- Renewals depend uponon the lending library's policy
- Fines: $1/day