Who can place requests?
NSU faculty, staff and all registered students* can place interlibrary loan requests.
*Are you a distance student? Let us know by entering "distance student" in the free text note field on the request, and we'll send the requested item to you directly. (You will be responsible for the cost of mailing the items back, however.)
How long does it take?
How long does it take?
|I need it...||Formats||Get it!|
|Today||Books & Articles||Search Other Local Libraries: If Presentation College or Alexander Mitchell Public Library has the book or journal you want, you can pay them a visit and check out the book or copy the article you want in person.
Search Library Databases: Many articles in the databases are full text online or in print and can be found in the library, printed out or saved immediately.
|1 - 3 days
4 - 14 days
Books & other materials
|Interlibrary Loan. We can get just about anything you need from just about any library. Articles will usually arrive in your email inbox. You'll receive an email notice when books and other materials arrive.|
Is there a charge?
There is no fee for requesting interlibrary loan materials.*
*If you are a distance student and your interlibrary loan materials are mailed to you, you will be responsible for the cost of mailing them back to Williams Library.
How do I place a request?
Most requests can be made directly from the library catalog by clicking the Interlibrary Loan link, or by using the Find it @ NSU! button/link in the databases. See it happen - Video (2 min)
But it's not in the catalog... (blank request forms)
Occasionally you will need to request an item that you've run across in the course of your research which does not appear in the library catalog.
For this type of request you can use the blank form found in the library catalog.
- Select Northern State University from the Library dropdown menu.
- Enter your library barcode. This is the number on the back of your NSU ID. It begins with 21573¦
- Your password is your last name.
- Click on the Log On button.
- To place an interlibrary loan request click on InterLibrary Loan Form
- Choose either the book (for borrowing books and other materials) or Journal' (for photocopies of journal articles) request form.
- Enter as much information about the requested item as you've located.
- Enter the last date you can use the item.
- Check the box to indicate you've read the copyright notice.