Last year, the Northern State University Foundation helped 2,060 NSU students by providing more than $2.25 million in scholarships – an average of $1,081 per student.
Just as every student is a valued individual at Northern, all gifts are important to Northern. Your gift supports Northern students and our mission in a genuine and lasting way. The form your gift takes should reflect the personal, varied nature of your circumstances. While tax and estate plan considerations are usually not primary reasons in your decision to give, federal and state tax laws may have an impact on the best way to make your gift. Some options include:
- Outright Gift: An outright gift is the simplest and most common way of making a contribution to the Northern State University Foundation, usually in the form of cash, check, or credit card. Donate online today.
- Matching Gifts: More than 1,000 American companies make matching gifts that equal, double or even triple employees' gifts. Many companies will also match gifts made by retired employees, directors and spouses. Contact your human resources office to find out if your company has a matching gift policy.
- Endowments: Endowed gifts are those given to the foundation that remain in perpetuity because only the income earned on the principal sum is used. Endowed gifts help provide for the future strength and viability of the Northern State University Foundation.
- Named Scholarship: What better way to memorialize a loved one than to begin a scholarship in their name? Over 80% of NSU students receive some form of scholarship assistance to attend college. More
- Planned Gifts: In large part, the Northern State University Foundation's present endowment funds have been built from generous gifts from the estates of its benefactors. More
- Whatever form of gift you choose, the Northern State University Foundation recommends that you seek the advice of your attorney, accountant, banker, broker or financial advisor before reaching a final decision.
Please contact the NSU Foundation staff for more information.
- The Northern Fund: Nowhere is the tradition of giving more vital than in scholarships, with one generation assisting the next.
- The Heritage Society: The Heritage Society honors those individuals who have named Northern State University Foundation as beneficiary through planned gifts such as trusts, insurance and bequests. Many gift options enable donors to contribute for the future benefit of Northern State University while taking advantage of the income and tax advantages these gifts provide.
- Annual Scholarship: An annual scholarship provides a yearly award to students who meet the criteria established by you and the university. The scholarship may be established with a one-time gift with the awards being made until the funds are diminished or the donor may contribute the amount of the award every year.
- The Wolves Club: The NSU Wolves Club is the largest annual fund-raising program for men's & women's intercollegiate athletics.
- Founded in 1978, the Wolves Club is a dedicated group of athletic fans who volunteer their time and talent to promote Northern Athletics. These boosters raise annual revenue for the athletic program through concession sales, special events, sponsorships and the annual membership drive.
- Legacy of Leadership: Recognition through naming opportunities for programs, buildings, or endowments can memorialize a loved one, salute a mentor or honor one's family. The staff of the NSU Foundation can help you develop the naming opportunity to meet your philanthropic wishes.