Members of the NSU School of Business Banking and Financial Services Advisory Board are people with industry experience in the financial services sector of South Dakota and North Dakota.
• Serve as a liaison between NSU and the banking and financial services industry;
• Advise the School of Business on curriculum issues that reflect industry needs and trends;
• Promote student awareness of opportunities and experiences in the financial services sector and serve as a contact for internship and career opportunities;
• And provide guidance in the development of the master's degree in banking and financial services to better prepare students and provide the skills needed to advance to higher-level positions within the financial services sector.
Current board membership includes:
||S.D. Banking Commission
||Director of Banking|
||Sr. VP/Chief Risk Officer|
||First Interstate Bank
||First State Bank of Roscoe
||S.D. Bankers Association
||N.D. Department of Financial Institutions
||Dacotah Bank, Inc.
||Chairman of the Board|
||Farmers State Bank
||Home Federal Bank
||Plains Commerce Bank
||Senior VP/Area Branch Manager|
||Great Western Bank
||Independent Community Bankers of S.D.
||S.D. Trust Companies
||Co-Chairman/Co-Chief Executive Officer|
||Quoin Financial Bank in Miller
||Senior Vice President|
A small group of industry experts was created to provide insight and knowledge to the School of Business faculty to help develop the Masters in Banking and Financial Services program at Northern.
This Curriculum Advisory Committee, or advisory group, consisted of area banking executives, South Dakota banking commission officers and a trust management professional. With Northern's business faculty, they helped develop a pertinent and thorough Master's program geared towards people who are interested in advancing their careers in the industry and people who are looking to change from another specialty to a position in banking and financial services.
The ideas and recommendations provided by the advisory group were invaluable in the development of a curriculum that will prepare students for managerial positions in the banking and financial services industry.
Members of this advisory group include:
- Dick Westra, Dacotah Bank
- Cynthia Walsh, US Bank
- Bruce Ley, retired bank trust officer
- Bret Afdahl, South Dakota Division of Banking
- Tim Ahartz, BankWest, Inc.
Members of the School of Business who serve on the Banking and Financial Services Curriculum Committee are:
- Dr. Doug Ohmer, NSU Faculty
- Dr. Bill Broucek, NSU Dean