Northern State University requires that all
full-time students bring a laptop to campus. Most laptop devices, including Apple products, will work with NSU’s technological infrastructure. NSU’s goal is to ensure your device is reliable and robust enough to support your academic success. For the best possible experience, NSU strongly recommends you purchase a device that meets the recommended configuration.
The following selections allow you to determine the best configuration and specification for your device. Please remember that these are recommendations that work best with our infrastructure.
||Core 2 Duo Processor|
||2GB SDRAM or higher|
|Hard Drive Size
||160 GB or higher|
||10/10/1000 mbps Ethernet card|
||Dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz) recommended|
||Strongly encourage at least a 3 year extended accidental|
||MS Office 2010 or Open Office|
||Valid antivirus subscription|
NSU technicians are certified to perform warranty repair on Fujitsu and Dell systems. By purchasing a device from one of these vendors, you are able to receive warranty work at no charge on the NSU campus. NSU also recommends devices from Apple and Hewlett-Packard, but is not certified to perform warranty work. Please click on the links below to access the vendor sites:
Frequently Asked Questions
What is "Anytime, Anywhere Learning" and to whom does it apply?
The NSU mobile initiative is commonly referred to as Anytime, Anywhere Learning and was first implemented in Fall 2010. The initiative was started to better prepare students to enter the global workforce
The goals of the initiative are to:
1) Promote an environment that is conducive to anytime, anywhere learning
2) Create a more learner-centered environment; and
3) Promote acquisition of cutting-edge skills
New students who are full-time freshmen and sophomores are required to bring a laptop to campus. A full-time freshman is any student who has less than 32 credit hours completed and is enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for the upcoming term.
What financial assistance is available to purchase a laptop?
Because the purchase of a laptop is required, financial aid can be used to cover the purchase cost. If a student has financial hardship, Northern provides laptops to check out. Students can apply at the NSU Tech Help Desk in TC 148.
Northern also provides to students Microsoft Office Suite 2010 at a significantly reduced cost, and free anti-virus software. Students should not purchase either of these software tools, as they can obtain them on campus.
What kind of laptop should my son or daughter bring?
Northern supports all laptop devices, including Macs. We encourage parents and students to click on the Hardware Requirements link to the left for more information. Northern's technicians are certified to perform warranty work on Dell, Fujitsu and Apple. We are currently working toward HP certification. We strongly recommend students purchase an extended warranty of 3-4 years.
Outside the classroom, where can my son or daughter use their laptop?
Northern students can connect to the Internet from their laptop anywhere on campus. All buildings, including residence halls and the large common spaces outside, have wireless connections available.
What happens if the computer is being repaired?
Northern provides free technical support for all student devices. The computer will be repaired free of charge. The only cost to the student would be for hardware replacement if the item is not covered under warranty or the warranty has expired. Northern also provides laptops for checkout to students whose machines are undergoing repair.
How are laptops being used in the classroom?
Northern faculty are utilizing laptops for:
• Self-introductions to classmates;
• Communication with instructor and other students via chat and course mail;
• Access to syllabi, assignments, guidelines, and other course materials;
• D2L Checklists to keep track of assignment due dates;
• Work on papers and other writing assignments;
• Work on research;
• Searching library catalog and library databases and requesting sources through interlibrary loan service;
• Submitting assignments to the D2L Dropbox;
• Receiving instructors’ feedback on assignments and viewing grades;
• Collaborating with other students through exchange of drafts for peer review;
• Marking up other students’ drafts in the peer-review process;
• Taking quizzes and examinations in D2L;
• Creating and sharing PowerPoint presentations;
• Discussing readings and ideas using the online discussion tool;
• Participating in writing workshops;
• Storing and working on writing journals;
• Taking notes during class;
• Collaborating with other students using the D2L Locker and group functions;
• Collaborating on multimedia projects (moviemaker, website, wiki, etc.);
• Critiquing student-created content;
• Watching discipline-specific videos;
• Using publisher created materials and web sites for topic ideas, sample outlines, and sample bibliographies for the speech to inform and the speech to persuade; and
• Preparing impromptu speeches
NSU requires students to have Microsoft Office 2007/2010 and a valid anti-virus program. Below are details for required and recommended software packages.
Microsoft Office 2010
Students can purchase MS Office Academic 2010 Edition at a discounted price at these locations:
• Windows Version: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.275549300
• Mac Version: http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/office/default.aspx
• The NSU Wolf Shoppe
Microsoft Security Essentials - Free
Symantec Endpoint - Paid by university
- Right-click on My Computer and open Properties to determine if your machine is a 32- or 64-bit Operating System. You will be prompted for your NSU login information.
32 bit Machines
64 bit Machines