ABERDEEN, S.D. – Northern State University will host the 2014 Women In Science Conference on Tuesday, March 11.
More than 300 area middle school and high school students have registered to attend the event, which will take place in the Johnson Fine Arts Center. This is the 13th anniversary of the conference, which provides a forum for young women and girls to learn about the endless opportunities available in math- and science-related career fields and to create personal connections with professional women scientists.
The day’s schedule is as follows:
• 8:30-9:15 a.m.: Registration
• 9:15-9:30 a.m.: Introduction of guest speakers/welcome
• 9:30-9:40 a.m.: Report to first session
• 9:40-11:30 a.m.: Small groups – four 20-minute sessions with 10-minute breaks between sessions
• 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: Lunch break
• 1-2 p.m.: Keynote speaker
• 2-2:30 p.m.: Post survey/awards
This year’s keynote speaker will be Ashley Hansen, clinical pharmacist from Sanford Medical Center in Aberdeen. Other presenters will include:
• Nicole Walter, health and wellness/fitness, KSFY
• Megan Steever, road design engineer, South Dakota Department of Transportation
• Dr. Bongi Rudder, hematology/oncology, Sanford
• Dawn Birkla-Mauk, lead flight nurse, Avera St. Luke’s Hospital
• Laura Carlson, quality seed manager, SGS North American
• Dr. Jessica Dickes, physician/women’s health, Avera St. Luke’s
• Candace Briscoe, chemist/skin care, Profiling Beauty
Students participating in the conference are from schools around the region, including: Aberdeen Central, Simmons and Holgate; Aberdeen Roncalli; Northwestern; Warner; Eureka; Leola; Frederick; and Ellendale, N.D.
Kayla Bailly of Warner High School is the winner of the 2014 Women In Science logo contest.
The Women In Science program, which was implemented by the Aberdeen National Weather Service office, is a cooperative effort supported by state and local agencies, schools and businesses.
For more information, visit NSU's Women in Science webpage or contact the National Weather Service office at 605-225-0519.