Sign In
Contact Information
International Programs
Connie Ruhl-Smith, Director

Lincoln Hall 206
1200 S. Jay St.
Aberdeen, S.D. 57401
Phone: 605-626-7802
Email: Stacey Schmidt
The WolfPACT Scholarship
Guaranteed Scholarship
The largest guaranteed four year scholarship in the Midwest. Money you can count on. Get your ACT Score; find out your scholarship award. It's that simple!
Learn More!
International Programs
Income Tax

Whether you work or not, you must file an income tax return form.
Filing Your Taxes
The international student office will help you prepare your taxes. Volunteers will be trained to complete the taxes using CINTAX (or CINTAX Complete International Tax Preparation Software) a program developed by Artic International LLC (located in Washington, DC) to aid international students in preparing their U.S. Federal Tax Return (Forms 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ). International students who do not wish to take advantage of this resource provided by the ISO can contact a local Certified Public Account (CPA) or a tax preparation office to have their taxes processed for a fee.
Please contact the office of International Programs at 605-626-7802 to ask about the annual tax deadline, which usually is about the second week of April. If using CINTAX to prepare your taxes, you are encouraged to complete this task 3 weeks before the deadline to avoid unexpected delays.


Note: International students with F-1 Status are required to file Form 8843. You do not need a social security number to complete Form 8843. Forms and instructions can be secured by visiting the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) website at


U.S. Tax Treaties
The United States has income tax treaties with a number of foreign countries. Under these treaties, residents (not necessarily citizens) of foreign countries are taxed at a reduced rate, or are exempt from U.S. income taxes on certain items of income they receive from sources within the United States. These reduced rates and exemptions vary among countries and specific items of income. If the treaty does not cover a particular kind of income, or if there is no treaty between your country and the United States, you must pay tax on the income in the same way and at the same rates shown on Form 1040NR.