Each fall, the NSU Honors Program hosts a Common Read lecture, supported by the generous endowment of the Larry and Julie Poeppel family. The Common Read lecture is free and open to all of campus and the Aberdeen community. The speaker is either the author of the Common Read book or a person with expertise on the central theme of the book.
2021 Common Read
This fall, Alice Wong, author of Disability Visibility: First-Person Stories from the Twenty-First Century, will deliver the Common Read Lecture at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 13. Attendees are invited to gather in the Johnson Fine Arts Center’s Jewett Theater to listen to Wong, who will present live via Zoom. Read more HERE!
- 2021: Disability Visibility: First-Person Stories from the Twenty-First Century, by Alice Wong; Speaker: Alice Wong
- 2020: Dignity: Seeking Respect in Back Row America by Chris Arnade; Speaker: Chris Arnade
- 2019: Bored and Brilliant: How Spacing Out Can Unlock Your Most Productive and Creative Self by Manoush Zomorodi ; Speaker: Manoush Zomorodi
- 2018: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas; Speaker: Angie Thomas
- 2017: Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys; Speaker: Ruta Sepetys
- 2016: Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson; Speaker: Anthony Ray Hinton
- 2015: Without You, There is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite by Suki Kim; Speaker: Suki Kim
- 2014: Ready Player One by Ernie Cline; Speaker: Ernest Cline
- 2013: Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls; Speaker: Jeannette Walls
- 2012: Outcasts United by Warren St. John; Speaker: Warren St. John
- 2011: 1491 by Charles Mann; Speaker: Charles Mann
- 2010: The Routes of Man by Ted Conover; Speaker: Ted Conover
Photo of Alice Wong courtesy of Eddie Hernandez Photography