Qualified students should follow these easy steps to register:
- Complete and submit the NSU Rising Scholars Registration Form. Upon submission, a confirmation message will be sent to the email address listed in the K12 email address field within a few days.
- Print the registration form, sign, get a parent/guardian signature, then deliver to your high school Rising Scholars teacher/coordinator. The high school is responsible for submitting the registration form to NSU.
A Rising Scholars-eligible student must be a:
High school junior eligible to enroll in a high school in South Dakota who meets one of the following requirements:
- Has achieved an ACT composite score of 24 reflective of the 70% percentile; or
- Ranks in upper one-third of their graduating class; or
- Has earned a cumulative GPA of at least 3.50 on a 4.0 scale;
High school senior eligible to enroll in a high school in South Dakota who meets one of the following requirements:
- Has achieved an ACT composite score of 21 reflective of the 50% percentile; or
- Ranks in the upper one-half of their graduating class; or
- Has earned a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 on a 4.0 scale;
Registration in English and math courses will require placement according to ACT/SAT/ACCUPLACER/Smarter Balance test scores.
Math Index and challenge index Score Calculator
The South Dakota Board of Regents requires that placement for math classes be based on a minimum Math Index (MI) Score. The MI is a calculation of students' ACT Math score and Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA). Below is an MI Calculator, provided as an initial “unofficial” indicator of students' placement eligibility. Enter the ACT Math score and current CGPA in the corresponding fields. Next to each math course there is a Yes/No field. A “YES” response indicates the student may be eligible for placement. The official MI calculation will be completed by NSU at registration. A Challenge Index score may be calculated by coordinators if the student does not have an ACT score. See your school coordinator or Rising Scholar personnel for details.
Cost and Payment
Students are responsible for paying tuition for Rising Scholar courses. Rising Scholars students pay $40 per credit hour ($120 for a 3-credit course and $160 for a 4-credit course). Tuition payments are due no later than published fall/spring census dates. Payments may be submitted via SDePay (electronic check or credit card) in a student's Self-Service Banner account, or mailed to:
1200 S. Jay St.
Aberdeen, S.D. 57401
Students/high schools are responsible for textbook and lab costs.
Course Cancellation and Enrollment Levels
Rising Scholars classes may be cancelled prior to the individual Rising Scholars course established Census Date. More than 50 percent of the students enrolled in the high school class must be registered for college credit. Classes are subject to minimum enrollments (eight students).