teacher education Department
If your dream is to be an elementary or secondary school teacher, you aren't alone. The teacher education program is the largest education program at NSU. All NSU education students learn to address classroom diversity encompassing a wide range of learning styles and needs. You will also gain extensive field experience in classrooms and integrate the use of technology in instruction through hands-on experiences.
- Elementary Education: The elementary education program is the largest education program at NSU. Elementary education students are encouraged to complete additional endorsements or minors in specialties such as early childhood, world languages or special education.
- Secondary Education: If your goal is to teach at the high school level, you will major in a content area, such as biology, English, history or mathematics. You will also be encouraged to seek endorsements to better prepare you for your future career.
- Special Education:The program provides a variety of practical experiences and interactions. You'll examine all aspects of special education, including methods of inclusion, resource rooms, collaboration and individualized programming.
- Early Childhood Education: NSU offers an early childhood education minor to pair with either an elementary or secondary teaching degree.
- Certificates and Endorsements: NSU offers several certificate program and endorsements for individuals.
- Graduate Programs
Health and Physical Education Department
Psychology and Counselor Education Department
- Music cognition
- Usability and software design
- Student perception of learning environments
- Multicultural/cross cultural counseling
- Counselor education and supervision
- Comprehensive school counseling models
- Mindfulness and psychological well-being
- Substance abuse
Psychology: The undergraduate psychology program prepares you for a career in various entry-level human service positions. In Northern's psychology program, you'll learn to better understand yourown behavior and the behavior of those around you. Psychology degrees have become one of the most popular options at colleges and universities throughout the world. In addition to offering limitless opportunity for personal growth, majoring in psychology opens up a range of career opportunities. Psychology majors are exposed to scientific theory as well as areas of psychological research with practical applications.
Counseling: The counseling program at NSU emphasizes the development of counseling professionals who are competent in their counseling knowledge, skills, and practice. Utilizing a creative, strength-based approach, the program endorses self-reflective, theory-based, intentional counseling. The pillars of NSU's program include the celebration of human diversity, a belief in the dignity and inherent worth of others, and a commitment to fostering students' identities as professional counselors.
Counseling students will graduate with a thorough understanding of:
- The individual
- The approaches, methods and techniques of counseling theory
- The self as counselor and member of a learning community
School or Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MSEd): Northern State University's graduate program in counseling has been preparing clinical mental health and school counseling professionals for over 50 years. In Northern's intensive graduate counseling program, you'll be challenged to develop clinical skills preparing you to work with a diverse range of clients. This program is scheduled to be accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. For academic year 2015-2016:
- 6 students graduated in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, reflecting a program completion rate of 85%;
- 83% of these students were hired into counseling related jobs within 6 months after they graduated;
- 12 students graduated in School Counseling, reflecting a program completion rate of 100%;
- 96% were hired into school counseling positions within 6 months after they graduated
Annual Program Reports