Welcome to the NSU News Update - providing information on events happening on campus or involving NSU students, staff and faculty.
To submit a news item, send it via email to NSUNews@northern.edu by 5 p.m. Thursday of the week before the announcement should run.
Through the S.D. Department of Health, Northern has secured BinaxNOW/Quidel over the counter COVID tests. These test kits are free to NSU faculty, staff and students. Students can pick up their kits at Student Affairs (Avera Student Center 222). Faculty and staff should check with their direct supervisors. Complimentary COVID testing for all South Dakotans are still available through Vault Health’s website as well. These are available for both symptomatic/asymptomatic and vaccinated/unvaccinated individuals. For additional COVID-19 information, visit northern.edu/coronavirus, covid.sd.gov or cdc.gov.
Military Veterans Affairs News
- RAID’22: Raid Across South Dakota is coming to Aberdeen. Join RAID’22 Tuesday, May 10, 2022, to see B-25 Mitchell up close. B-25 will land at Hangar 9 FBO, located at 4610 Sixth Ave. S.E., Aberdeen, and will be open for public viewing from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. RAID is part of the Ellsworth Air Force Base Air show held this May 14 and 15 and produced with Black Hills Military Advisory Coalition. The tout is called “RAID’22,” as an homage to the two South Dakotans who took part in the famous “Doolittle Raid” of 1942 and Ellsworth Air Force Bases’ military lineage connecting to the Doolittle Raiders.
- NSU Hosting American Legion Cording Ceremony: On May 4, 2022, from 6 to 7 p.m., Northern Military Veteran Affairs will host the American Legion Cording Ceremony for graduating Service Members and Veterans. The Aberdeen American Legion Post presents a red, white, and blue cord to graduates honoring and celebrating dedicated service to the U.S. and Aberdeen citizens. Students wear the cords at commencement. The program is open to family, friends and the Aberdeen community, and will be located in the lobby of Jewett Regional Science Education Center, corner of 12th Avenue Southeast and State Street.
- Enrollment Certifications: Each semester, the NSU Military Veteran Affairs staff certify enrollments for students receiving Military Tuition Assistance, South Dakota State Tuition Assistance or Veteran Education Benefits. The staff submits Certifications after the census date for each term.
- 202250 Summer 1 (5 weeks) May 31-July 1 – Census Date: July 10
- 202250 Summer 2 (5 weeks) July 5-Aug. 5 – Census Date: July 15
- 202250 Summer 3 (10 weeks) May 31-Aug. 5 – Census Date: July 10
Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) Updates
Individuals have been selected to participate in working groups that will help develop Northern's first Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) plan. Each working group will meet over the next 6-8 months to complete tasks that will lead to the creation of our first SEM plan. Individuals can anticipate spending 1-2 hours per week on working group responsibilities. Read more at this link. Please help me in thanking these individuals for their contributions to our SEM planning.
- Justin Fraase, EMC Chair
Congratulations to this year’s Employee Performance Award Winners:
- Excellence in Management – Terri Holmes
- Community Leader Service Award – Doris Stusiak
- Student Service Award – Vicki Evans
- Excellence in Performance – Krista Bau
- Teamwork Award – Financial Aid Team (Becky Pribyl, Morgan Stadler, Sarah Selzler, Gillian Roda)
End of Semester Sale at the NSU Wolf Shoppe
The NSU Wolf Shoppe will have an End of the Semester Sale May 2-6. Take 20 percent off all clothing and giftware, including clearance items!
Register Before You Go
Students: Be sure to finalize your course schedules and register for classes before the end of term. Schedule your advising appointment with their Professional Advisor today through Navigate for assistance!
Annual Feathering/Graduation Ceremony
Northern’s Annual Feathering/Graduation Ceremony for our Native American students will take place on May 6 from 5 to 5:45 p.m. on the green in front of Spafford Hall. In case of inclement weather, Dacotah Hall Gym will be the alternative location.
Northern’s Spring Commencement ceremony will take place at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, May 7, in the NSU Barnett Center. U.S. Sen. Mike Rounds will deliver the commencement address. The ceremony will be live streamed through the NSU Facebook page, the NSU Graduation and Commencement page, and locally through cable channel 12. Congratulations to our graduates!
Mark your calendars - Distinctive Dialogues Event with author, Stephen Kosslyn, and the HyFlex Faculty Cohort Panel will take place May 11 from 9 a.m. to noon in CETL's NEW Pedagogy lab, located in Lib 141A. Calendar Link; Zoom link
- 9 a.m.: Stephen Kosslyn, author, speaker and founder of the Active Learning Series, will discuss principles for engaging students in active learning.
- 10 a.m.: The HyFlex Faculty Cohort will discuss their implementation of active learning and student engagement strategies.
- 11:30 a.m.: HyFlex Cohort Research Group will share original research on student engagement in HyFlex classrooms
- Noon: Danger Von Dempsey’s Lunch with your colleagues
NSU Tutoring Center
Need help working on assignments and preparing for final exams? NSU Tutoring Services can help! Students can request appointments online or drop in for assistance (TC 148—first come, first served). Questions? Contact Vicki Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Summer Book Bingo
Looking for a summertime day trip? Armchair travel while reading in a comfy chair indoors or browsing a book in the backyard could be perfect!
Add Summer Book Bingo and you can add a challenge to your summer reading and potentially broaden your reading list.
Pick up a bingo card at the library or download one from the library’s Book Bingo Subject Guide.
Read a book from each category until you get five in a row (or a postage stamp, blackout - you decide when you win!)
You can read ebooks and audiobooks to complete the challenge, too. There's no competition involved - unless, of course, you want to enroll your friends, neighbors, or book club in the game!
Post your winning card on social media using: #NSUBookBingo, #northernstateu, #northernstatelibrary. Tag us @nsulibrarian on Instagram and Twitter.
We'd love to hear what books you've been reading!
Volunteers Needed for CultureFest
CultureFest Committee is looking for staff, faculty and student volunteers to plan and execute the next CultureFest Fall 2022. For more information and if you would like to be a part of this Multicultural event, please contact Dominika.Blum@northern.edu.
‘Be Northern’ Nominations
Do you know someone in the NSU campus community who should be featured on Northern social media? Nominate a student, faculty, staff or alum to be featured as a Be Northern on NSU Instagram and Facebook! Nominated are accepted through this online form.
Thank you all for such an incredible season! Howl out to all students who showed up to support Northern Athletics!
Congrats to last month’s winner, Brynne Larvie, who will take home a $50 Gift Card to Zoo/Lagers!
For updated information on Howling Wolves and past winners, click HERE
All first and second place winners for each month have been placed in a raffle, which will take place Tuesday of this week. The Grand Prize Winner will walk away with a custom wrapped Northern State University Mini Fridge!
Again, thank you all so very much for your support this year and remember: GO WOLVES!
For questions or more information, please email email@example.com.