Welcome to the NSU News Update - providing information on events happening on campus or involving NSU students, staff and faculty.
To submit a news item, send it via email to NSUNews@northern.edu by 5 p.m. Thursday of the week before the announcement should run.
Military Veterans Affairs News
- RAID’22: Raid Across South Dakota is coming to Aberdeen. Join RAID’22 Tuesday, May 10, 2022, to see B-25 Mitchell up close. B-25 will land at Hangar 9 FBO, located at 4610 Sixth Ave. S.E., Aberdeen, and will be open for public viewing from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. RAID is part of the Ellsworth Air Force Base Air show held this May 14 and 15 and produced with Black Hills Military Advisory Coalition. The tout is called “RAID’22,” as an homage to the two South Dakotans who took part in the famous “Doolittle Raid” of 1942 and Ellsworth Air Force Bases’ military lineage connecting to the Doolittle Raiders.
- Enrollment Certifications: Each semester, the NSU Military Veteran Affairs staff certify enrollments for students receiving Military Tuition Assistance, South Dakota State Tuition Assistance or Veteran Education Benefits. The staff submits Certifications after the census date for each term.
- 202250 Summer 1 (5 weeks) May 31-July 1 – Census Date: July 10
- 202250 Summer 2 (5 weeks) July 5-Aug. 5 – Census Date: July 15
- 202250 Summer 3 (10 weeks) May 31-Aug. 5 – Census Date: July 10
Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) Updates
Individuals have been selected to participate in working groups that will help develop Northern's first Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) plan. Each working group will meet over the next 6-8 months to complete tasks that will lead to the creation of our first SEM plan. Individuals can anticipate spending 1-2 hours per week on working group responsibilities. Read more at this link. Please help me in thanking these individuals for their contributions to our SEM planning.
-Justin Fraase, EMC Chair
The Board of Regents will meet via Zoom on Tuesday, May 10, 2022, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central Time. The full agenda and Zoom information can be found at this link.
Mark your calendars! A Distinctive Dialogues Event with author, Stephen Kosslyn, and the HyFlex Faculty Cohort Panel, will take place May 11 from 9 a.m. to noon in CETL's NEW Pedagogy lab, located in Lib 141A. Calendar Link; Zoom link
- 9 a.m.: Stephen Kosslyn, author, speaker and founder of the Active Learning Series, will discuss principles for engaging students in active learning.
- 10 a.m.: The HyFlex Faculty Cohort will discuss their implementation of active learning and student engagement strategies.
- 11:30 a.m.: HyFlex Cohort Research Group will share original research on student engagement in HyFlex classrooms
- Noon: Danger Von Dempsey’s Lunch with your colleagues
Summer Book Bingo
Looking for a summertime day trip? Armchair travel while reading in a comfy chair indoors or browsing a book in the backyard could be perfect!
Add Summer Book Bingo and you can add a challenge to your summer reading and potentially broaden your reading list.
Pick up a bingo card at the library or download one from the library’s Book Bingo Subject Guide.
Read a book from each category until you get five in a row (or a postage stamp, blackout - you decide when you win!)
You can read ebooks and audiobooks to complete the challenge, too. There's no competition involved - unless, of course, you want to enroll your friends, neighbors, or book club in the game!
Post your winning card on social media using: #NSUBookBingo, #northernstateu, #northernstatelibrary. Tag us @nsulibrarian on Instagram and Twitter.
We'd love to hear what books you've been reading!
‘Be Northern’ Nominations
Do you know someone in the NSU campus community who should be featured on Northern social media? Nominate a student, faculty, staff or alum to be featured as a Be Northern on NSU Instagram and Facebook! Nominated are accepted through this online form.