What should I know about Peer-to-Peer (P2P) File-sharing Software
P2P file sharing software applications often install Spyware and/or viruses onto your PC when you sign up for their service. Another reason to be cautious of P2P is that the files you may be swapping and sharing (photos, music, videos or games) often contain Spyware and/or viruses.
Many P2P file sharing software applications are set to share files without your knowledge. This can lead to slowness issues, as well as put you at risk for Copyright Infringements.
Below are basic steps for removingP2P file sharing software applications.
Use the Programs window in the Control Panel to remove (uninstall) these programs just as you would remove any program from your Windows system.
- Turn off all file-sharing programs and all of their components.
- Go to your computers Control Panel. You can go to it from your computer's Start logo.
- Double click on the Programs icon.
- Locate the P2P software you are removing on the list of installed programs. Click once to highlight the software. At the top of the list of programs, select Uninstall.
- Follow the prompts on the screen to completely remove the software and its components.
Some peer-to-peer file-sharing programs have companion programs that are not automatically removed. If you have more than one program to remove, click No if prompted to reboot your computer. Then repeat these steps until you have removed all file sharing programs. Make sure you reboot the system when you are finished.