Technology Services provides computer and other technical support for Northern students and faculty.
Hours are 7:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday during fall and spring semesters and 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday in the summer.
Contact us for your tech support needs - we can help!
Services for Students, Staff and Faculty
We can repair computer systems, including any computer or smartphone. Hardware charges may apply.
- Replacing broken screens
- Replacing broken keyboards
- Replacing hard drives
- Expanding computer memory
- Replacing batteries
Contact Tech Services 605-626-2283, or stop by the help desk at TC 148.
Technology Services provides end user device support to staff and faculty for desktops, laptops, tablets, printers, and mobile devices.
- Antivirus installation
- System recovery (Windows and Mac OSX)
- Microsoft Office installation
- Printer access
- Retrieving data from crashed hard drives
Contact NET Services 605-626-2283 or stop by the support desk at TC 148.
myNSU Portal Support
myNSU offers campus-only information and resources, including access to:
- Email, SNAP, D2L and Self-Service Banner
You also can request:
- A campus-only web site for your department
- Campus-only team sites for committees and councils, student organizations, employee teams, project teams and more. Access can be restricted to designated groups.
Black-and-white printing is available in all NSU computer rooms. The open-access computer labs also offer color printing. Visit myNSU for printer locations and downloads.
Faculty and staff can access Hewlett Packard Managed Printing Services information HERE.
NET Services supports six discipline-specific computer classrooms for campus use. These include labs for business, graphic design, music keyboarding, and physics. These computer labs are used exclusively for students taking classes in those academic disciplines. Apart from class sessions, the discipline-specific labs are inaccessible unless supervised by faculty.
Brightspace by D2L is an online tool to access your individual class materials..
- Training on D2L’s tools and interface
- Training on third-party applications in D2L
- Navigating D2L
- Log in and technical issues with D2L support
Training sessions are held during faculty in-service and student orientation. For individual training sessions, call 626-2283 or stop by the Instructional Design office in TC 159.
Zoom Web Conferencing Training
Need to schedule or learn how to set up an online conference or meeting? Call 626-2283 for training on Zoom, an online conferencing tool that provides video, web, and audio conferencing (both device-based and phone) capabilities.
Office 365 Training
NSU has an enterprise license for the Microsoft Office 365 online environment. Students, faculty and staff all have access to the basic office applications. Faculty and staff have access to more advanced applications. For training call626-2283 or stop by the Instructional Design office at TC 159.
If you think you've been a target of potential computer security issues like phishing emails or other scams, we can help. Don't reply to suspicious emails or click on any links. Contact NET Services at 626-2283, email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Support Desk at TC 148.
Self-Service Banner (SSB)
Self-Service Banner enables students to enroll in NSU courses.
- For technical issues with SSB, please call 626-2283.
- For questions about registration, contact the Registrar's Office at 626-2012.
Students have access to Google Apps through their NSU email credentials. For information or assistance, contact the Support Desk at 626-2283.
Services for Staff and Faculty
We can create mobile-friendly fillable forms, email results and generate reports for surveys, event registrations and a variety of other data-gathering purposes. We also can convert existing forms to a mobile-friendly, clean-design format using versatile Formstack software.
You may also request creation of forms through which users can submit payment (approval is required).
Choose "Forms" from the drop-down at https://support.northern.edu.
Contact Instructional Design to:
- Get help with PDF issues
- Get training to create functional, effective PDFs
- Learn to make your PDF accessible to users with disabilities
Submit a request at support.northern.edu to make your PDF into a mobile- and presentation-friendly online "book."
With Flipping Book software, your PDF could include:
- Live links
- Table of contents
- Share/post on social media or through QR code
Digital Phone Support
Visit myNSU IPT/VOIP Support or contact the Support Desk for assistance with your digital phone.
Quality Assurance Program
To ensure Northern's online courses meet a high standard, each course goes through a quality assurance program required by the Office of Continuing Education and administered by Instructional Design. This program is designed to ensure:
- Clear course progression through the semester
- Access to course materials
- Assignment and quiz dates for students to stay on top of their work
- Area for peer-to-peer-to-instructor communications
For more information, call 626-2283.
Software License Coordination
Software license coordination is responsible for managing and distributing campuswide software licenses. The service includes monitoring usage, vendor management to negotiate and obtain best value, and distributing costs to various campus departments.
For information, contact Technology Services at 626-2283, or stop by the Support Desk at TC 148.
The Instructional Design department specializes in course design, education technology training and support, and support for the faculty eLearning studio.
Our services include:
- Online course structure support
- Effective teaching strategies
- Educational technology support and training
Call 626-2283 or stop by the Instructional Design office in Technology Center 159.
Panopto Lecture Recording Training
Record your lectures with Panopto Video Capture.
- Contact Media Services 605-626-3313 to set up an account
- Contact Instructional Design 605-626-2283 for training
Smart Room Support
Media Services provides technical support for all NSU smart classrooms.
For assistance, contact Media Services 626-3313.
Video Production Services
Media Services specializes in academic and research-based video production services, including
- Classroom lecture capture
- Studio recordings
- Single and multi-camera recordings of seminars and special campus events
- Live webcasting
- Content development for online learning modules
- faculty e-Learning studio support
Contact Media Services at 626-3313.
Audio-Visual Support for Presentations and Events
Media Services provides audio/visual consultation and support for events that require professional sound, presentation support, video, or any other special event technical needs.
- Projector setup
- Livestreaming/broadcasting for events
Contact Media Services 626-3313.
IT Equipment Checkout
IT equipment is available for checkout from the Tech Support Desk at TC 148 - call 626-2283 or email email@example.com. Equipment available includes:
- Digital cameras
- Video cameras